Head Coach Steve Leo summed up the Gill St. Bernard’s Varsity Track and Field season in one word: progress.
“Every GSB Knight improved this season,” Coach Leo said. “We never talk about winning—instead, we talk about competing—every day. Everyone worked hard in practice, and the results showed at the end of the season.”
Those results included Michael Simonelli ’25 receiving the 2nd Team All State Prep B designation in discus along with an Honorable Mention in the Skyland Conference. Samantha Leo ’24 also earned a 2nd All State Prep B designation and an Honorable Mention in the Skyland Conference in her top category: long jump. Lastly, Ema Hercules ’25 received recognition in the 1st Team Skyland Conference 3200-meter.
“Our team captains, Aniyha, Drew, Sam, and Sanjay were leaders on and off the track,” said Coach Leo. “They all lead by example with their work ethic and how they conducted themselves at meets. Off the track, they are all great students and leaders in the school.”
Successful conduct at meets was best summed up in the Knight’s performance at the NJISSA Prep B Championships. Medals and personal bests were stacked high and included:
- Samantha Leo – 2nd, Long Jump
- Annabelle Beekman ’26, Aniyah Boston ’23, Samantha Leo, Cassie Moore ’25, – 2nd, 4x100 Meter Relay
- Ema Hercules – 4th, 3200 Meter
- Catie Klein ’25 – 7th, Discus, and 10th, Shot Put
- Cassie Moore – 9th, 100 Meter, and 11th, 200 Meter
- Ellie Roslund ’25 – 11th, 3200 Meter
- Michael Simonelli – 2nd, Discus, and 4th, Shot Put
- Luke Liberti ‘24, Oliver Litchfield ’26, Jordan McDonald ’26, and Drew Vollrath ’23 – 2nd, 4x100 Meter
- Luke Liberti – 9th, 200 Meter
- Drew Vollrath – 7th, 400 Meter Hurdle
- Sanjay Desilva ’25 – 9th, Shot Put
- Harry Pambianchi ’25– 7th, Long Jump
“We also sent both girls and boys teams to the Penn Relays this year,” Coach Leo said, “and they proudly represented GSB at the most famous relay track meet in the country.
These experiences add up, and I can’t wait to see how the team uses what they learned from this season to prepare for the next.”
Way to go, Knights, on a successful season. We look forward to seeing you hit the track and field again next year!