Mr. Rowell joined GSB at a pivotal time in its history. His clear vision, always balanced and open perspective, and unwavering belief in our mission and core values have served him in leading our school with distinction into the twenty-first century.
In 2001, Mr. Rowell became the fifth Head of School of Gill St. Bernard’s School. Under his leadership, GSB has achieved significant growth in academic rigor, arts and co-curricular offerings, and athletic competitiveness. Perhaps most notably, our school campus has grown in size and stature during Mr. Rowell’s tenure.
The list is long:
- 2002: Building an addition to the Conover building
- 2004: Constructing the Athletic Center
- 2009: Completing the Hockenbury Academic Center
- 2011: Unveiling the Todd Quad
- 2013: Building an addition to Founders Hall
- 2014: Replacing the Cottage with The Conger Alumni House
- 2015: Reacquiring the Delicker Farm property, now Home Winds Farm
- 2016: Raising the GSB Field House
- 2018: Unveiling the Performing Ars & Community Center (PACC) as the majestic welcoming presence at the school’s west entrance
- 2018: Renovating the former theatre to become the SBS Pavillion & Parents’ Association Student Art Gallery
On behalf of the entire school community, we applaud Mr. Rowell for 20 years of outstanding leadership and acknowledge with great pride all that he has done to help make GSB what it is today.