School is arguably the most important and influential community in the lives of children, serving as a bridge between family and the larger world. In school, children learn more than academics: they learn how to cooperate, how to resolve disagreements and how to interact with adults and other students. In our Lower School, children begin their academic journey surrounded by dedicated, enthusiastic and endlessly-patient teachers in an environment that promotes kindness, optimism, responsibility and the love of learning. The value of those day-to-day interactions becomes immeasurable. By the time they enter Middle School, our students are capable, compassionate and confident—poised to make significant contributions to the larger community.
As the parent of a GSB student, you too will become an essential part of our authentic and welcoming community. We invite all of our parents to participate in the life of the school, contributing in ways that they find particularly interesting or meaningful. Every parent is automatically a member of the Gill St. Bernard's School Parent's Association. In addition, there are activities and events specifically open to Lower School parents throughout the academic year:
- Preschool Writing Workshops (Thursdays)
- Morning "Read Aloud," in which parents read to their child’s class
- Class Parents: parents work with faculty to coordinate special activities and events
- Home Winds Volunteers: parents assist faculty and students with lessons held in the GSB Community Garden
- Family Movie/Entertainment Nights
- Stone Soup preparation – an annual Lower School event in early October that officially kicks off our community service efforts for the year