Learning support at GSB is an integral part of every student’s experience. We hold students to college preparatory expectations of learning, and we believe that all students, regardless of learning profile/difference, can meet those expectations.
GSB students and families have access to experts in learning resources, mental health, and health services. This team includes:
- Directors of Learning Support
- School Counselors
- Reading/Learning Specialists
- Health and Wellness Teachers
Together, with division directors, deans, and faculty, this group strives to support all students in meeting the high expectations we have in our college preparatory program.
Our Directors of Learning Support:
- Support and help train our faculty as they strive to differentiate their curricula to meet the needs of all students.
- Provide consultation, updated research, and understanding of best practices for student support.
- Help students better understand themselves as learners by identifying and addressing their areas of academic strength and growth.
- Provide feedback on learning strategies, developing strong organizational habits, and effective ways to seek teacher support.
- Serve as resources for parents as they explore how to better support their child at home.
When do you contact a Director of Learning Support?
In addition to your child’s homeroom teacher or faculty advisor, a Director of Learning Support is an appropriate person to contact if, as a parent, you have a concern about your child’s academic progress. If your child needs specialized support, the Director of Learning Support may provide an appropriate referral to an outside professional, service provider, or evaluator.
What resources does the Director of Learning Support provide?
The Director of Learning Support serves as a resource for parents—to answer questions about supporting learning at home and recommend books/articles that can help support all levels of learners. The Director of Learning Support also provides referrals for one-on-one professional help in specific areas of concern, including tutoring and enrichment activities. The Director of Learning Support also informs the faculty about the latest research on student needs and learning, consults with teachers about learning concerns, and develops support strategies for students.
- We hold students to college preparatory expectations of learning, and believe that all students regardless of learning profile/difference can meet those expectations
- In the process of teaching and learning there will be time where more specific support is needed, and GSB faculty and staff may provide that – teachers and learning support staff
Meet The Student Support Team
If you are interested in more information about learning support services for your child, please fill out our form. We would be happy to get in touch.