At Gill St. Bernard’s Middle School, we offer a welcoming, caring, and academically challenging experience designed to complement the developmental strengths of preteens and adolescents.
Our Middle School, which utilizes several buildings on our campus, comprises students in grades 5-8. Contributing to a vibrant environment centered on nurture and academic rigor, our team of teachers strives to appropriately challenge students both in and out of the classroom.
A hallmark program at Gill, STREAMS (Sustainability, Technology, Research, Engineering, Agriculture, Math, and Service) is a year-long comprehensive course that also uses Home Winds Farm as a landscape for studying sustainability.
Clubs & Activities
Middle School is the perfect time developmentally to explore, and Gill’s wide-range of clubs and activities allows students a rich menu of opportunities from which to select.
Our after-school programs extend the school day with academic, enrichment, and interest-based activities such as fine arts, community service, music, theater, science, and much more.
Recent Middle School News
Our curriculum is broad-based, academically challenging, and child-centered. At every turn, the program is designed to foster a love for learning in our students. In combination with our core values and emphasis on character education, the Middle School program engages and motivates young people to be their very best and discover who they might become.
Some highlights include:
- Lab-based science five days per week
- Language arts instruction seven periods per week in grades seven and eight
- Singapore math into sixth grade; algebra and geometry offered in grades seven and eight
- A choice of French, Latin, or Spanish beginning in sixth grade
- Offerings in the fine and performing arts
- Required physical education/athletics built into the school day
- A unique, week-long experiential education experience in May for every student
- Regular Makerspace and wellness classes for every middle schooler
- The STREAMS Science Program for grades four through six
Our young student-athletes develop the skills to create a healthy lifestyle and to value balance as part of their education.
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about the Middle School.
See our 208-acre campus for yourself.
Middle School Director Kyle Armstrong
Kyle Armstrong serves as the Director of Lower & Middle Schools. He holds more than 20 years of experience working in independent schools.
Prior to joining GSB, he was Associate Head for Academics for a K-8 independent school. He also has experience as a history teacher, baseball and basketball coach, and eighth-grade team leader.
Mr. Armstrong holds an M.A. from Lesley College in Massachusetts, and a B.A. in History from Trinity College in Connecticut. Kyle’s wife, Kristen, is GSB’s Upper School Librarian. They have two children at Gill.